Guidelines for keeping your septic system working properly:
- Don’t use garbage disposals or pour cooking grease, oils or other materials like paper towels, sanitary hygiene products, plastics, or cigarettes into your septic system.
- Be careful with the amount of chemicals used like detergents, bleach, paints and/or paint thinners, degreasers and household hazardous wastes. A septic system is a natural living environment, so you want to limit chemical use as much as possible.
- Practice water conservation by fixing leaking faucets and running toilets. Don’t drain swimming pools or hot tubs into a septic system.
- Septic tank additives have not been proven to be effective and are not recommended for use in septic systems.
- Keep bushes and small trees clear of your drainfield. Roots can damage pipes and clog the drainfield. Grass is the best type of cover.